Thursday, July 12, 2012

"We can't stop here... this is bat country"

As I write this I'm watching Johnny Depp smoke something out of a light bulb. What can I say about Fear and Loathing? Based on Hunter S. Thompson's novel of the same name, this movie shows just how far you can push the envelope on anything. On a drug fueled trip to Vegas to cover a race for Rolling Stone, Raoul Duke (Thompson's alias, played by Johnny Depp), we encounter acid trips, ether binges, clashes with authority, hitchhikers and more drug infused scrapes. Accompanied by his attorney (played by Benincio Del Toro), these two aim to take Vegas by storm. In my opinion, its a damn near perfect movie.
For the entertainment factor alone you have one of (in my own damn opinion) the best adapted screenplays ever made. Read the book. Seriously. It'll blow your fucking mind. Johnny Depp's best role in my eyes. The personification of Hunter sucked me in for two hours of drop top Caddie's, lizard lounges, and pissed off hotel attendants. Depp really embraced who Hunter was, the true Gonzo spirit. This blog is dedicated to that absolutely fuckin' wild, uncontrollable spirit inside, which is what Thompson was. Granted its an acquired taste, the writing and direction was spot on and I felt like I was on this trip. Plus you get to see a pre-Tim Burton's fuckin' golden boy Depp (Not counting Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood) not wearing makeup for a change. What the fuck is with the goth fetish these two have now? Granted Sleepy Hollow was decent, what the fuck?!
Watch it late at night after a few beers, and enjoy one of the trippiest movies you'll ever see.
10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment